[Olpc-Haiti] our Haiti translation site's now inEnglish+ French + on Facebook too!

John Rigdon jrigdon at researchonline.net
Wed Feb 3 06:54:30 EST 2010

When I first returned from Haiti about 8 years ago I thought that I could
create books in Kreyòl and sell them in the U.S. to subsidize getting them
into Haiti.  That has proven not to be true.  Essentially all I have sold
have been to mission groups - learn to speak Kreyòl and English / Kreyòl
dictionaries and such.

A BIG challenge we face is getting material into Kreyòl that entices people
to read - things they enjoy.  For children this is stories, and for adults
this is self improvement (How to) material.  If adults need to know
something to improve their life they will take the effort to learn to read
it.

Wycliffe Bible Translators is now focusing on spoken translation and content
because they know from a hundred plus years experience how very difficult
the translation process is.  There is a strong argument for the case
however, that until a people group develop a corpus of written literature
their progress is slowed because the knowledge is lost from one generation
to the next.

My experience has been that most Kreyòl speakers get the syntax right, but
the spelling may not be correct.  Fortunately I have software that can check
spelling and flag problematic words, and I have also over the years been
introduced to several dozen Haitians in Haiti that relish the thought of
finding my errors and helping to improve the initial translation.

The downside to this is that the process runs on "Haiti time" so our
deadline of a few months to get a quality product probably means that we may
need to pay some professional translators to review the final documents.
There are relatively few of them that we can call on and of course they are
very VERY busy now with the situation in Haiti.

John Rigdon