[Olpc-Haiti] our Haiti translation site's now in English + French + on Facebook too!

Michel DeGraff degraff at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 2 20:31:02 EST 2010

There seems to be some deep confusion here about Haiti's and Haitians'
general linguistic profiles. So let me try and clarify a bit---there are
key linguistic issues to keep in mind as we go forward.

Re whether French-speaking translators are needed for  XO projects in
Haiti at this point:

I myself had not imagined that "Haitians speaking French in the diaspora"
would be the target of our efforts at this stage.  Instead I was thinking
about the numerical majority of Haitians in Haiti whose _only_ fluent
language is, effectively, Haitian Creole.  I had assumed (or hoped)
that, this time around, there would be increased focus on Haiti's
majority population (i.e., those who are _not_ fluent in French).  Given
my own experience as a Haitian who grew up in Haiti and a Haitian
linguist in the diaspora, the majority of "Haitians speaking French in
the diaspora" can certainly read English.

Given limited time and resources and given current priorities related to
the urgent situation in Haiti, I had imagined that those children who
are (effectively) monolingual Kreyòl speakers should be the main
beneficiaries of efforts toward making the XOs relevant to education in
Haiti.

For further discussion of this and related issues, please consult the
article by Professor Yves Dejean on "Creole and Education in Haiti":

http://www.fayerweather.org/About/Matenwa/_Default/Finaldejean2009.pdf

I hope this helps,

                                 -michel.
MIT Linguistics & Philosophy  77 Massachusetts Ave Cambridge MA 02139
degraff at MIT.EDU http://web.mit.edu/linguistics/people/faculty/degraff

----- Message from meta.sj at gmail.com ---------