[Olpc-Haiti] [IAEP] [realness] a school is not a building

Elissa Carmichael elissajean at me.com
Wed Dec 8 14:53:07 EST 2010

The needs of the kids is what we're trying to meet.  an easy way to do this find a kid and ask, 'hay, kid, what do you need?' At the very least an XO is infinitely patient and kind; forgiving and inviting.  Like He-Man says, "learning is fun and knowing is half the battle."

homeschool, very popular in the states where school are not meeting the needs of the kids and are frequently referred to as baby sitting institutions.  Florida's notoriously incompetent schools pack students (not the admin.) into formaldehyde fume filled portables that can't withstand heavy gusts let alone tornados or hurricanes.  homeschool keeps both schools and the cops at bay.   Alas homeschool is a luxury afforded by a few fortunate families.

schools/learning like jobs/working can be anywhere.  All jobs are not all confined to buildings nor all workers to desks or worse cubicles.  the poor field researchers wading thru the mucky marsh; the poor marine biologists or treasure hunters SCUBA diving and living on boats who knows where in the ocean; the poor archeologists excavating in dangerous conditions and/or hostile environments.  whoa the space travelers strapping themselves to rockets and shooting for the moon or space-station.

From my humble and limited experience an offer of a laptop and tutoring has yet to be declined by even one kid & family.  They want more once they realize I have no agenda, don't try and get all in their business, make no demands of their time and resources.  Working to meet the needs of the kids seems to take away almost all the pressure to perform and eliminate the fear of failing make learning a lot of fun.

Like He-Man says, "learning is fun and knowing is half the battle."

South Florida XO