[Olpc-Haiti] [realness] a school is not a building

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sun Dec 5 16:35:42 EST 2010

On Sun, 2010-12-05 at 15:18 -0500, Timothy Falconer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A favor:  help me make this case (or refute it) as we prepare once
> more for Haiti ... "spend money on training & laptops instead bricks
> and mortar".
>
> http://waveplace.com/news/blog/archive/001035.jsp

It's a beautiful thought that touches deep into my hacker spirit, but
the conclusion seems weak: what is it that we are advocating for? Remote
learning? Home-schooling? Having classes under a tree? It's unclear.

The point that you were making with the military canteen vs cooking at
home metaphor is that compulsory education doesn't follow individual
inclinations. Then, the conclusion should state the proposed solution
for this problem.