[Olpc-france] [OLPC library] Sugarization of DjVuLibre: an alternative ebook reader?

samy boutayeb s.boutayeb at free.fr
Sat Jul 3 04:18:25 EDT 2010

Hi Mikus,

Le vendredi 02 juillet 2010 à 22:23 -0500, Mikus Grinbergs a écrit :
> > As you may know, we are in the testing phase of our "first" ebook aimed
> > for our deployment in Madagascar.
> >
> > So far, we have 1 ebook (djvu) that is being tested>
> > It's a proof of concept, but it looks interesting.
> >
> > However, this is a very basic and far from portable try because of some
> > unmet dependencies.  May be someone can give it a try.
>
> As a result of your post, I installed and ran DjVuLibre (and DjView4).
> My opinion:  the "proof of concept" works.
>
> This was on an XO-1, using F11-based os15 with a mikus-written launch
> script.  F11 made it easy - all I had to do was 'yum install djvulibre
> djview4'.  My system has additional rpm packages already installed, to
> support various multimedia - I did NOT run into any unmet dependencies.
>  My biggest problem was finding a .djvu file to test with.  Note:  my
> systems use a swap partition (on a "permanent" SD card) - perhaps XO
> systems without swap might experience problems with large ebooks.
> [Also note that often "rotate screen" support is deficient.]
>

> Given that DjVuLibre works on F11-based XOs, I believe it ought to also
> work with F9-based XOs.  It is easy to "sugarize" a Linux application.
> The principal hurdle might be in getting an ebook into the Journal, and
> then accessing it from the Journal with DjVuLibre.  If you'd like some
> help, I'm willing to delve into your needs.  [I do not speak French.]

I confirm djview3 and djview4 work fine on the xo (xo 1.5 with sugar
0.84.16) where I had previously installed djvulibre and djview3/djview4.

The sugarise script did produce a working xo package and I was able to
launch the activity + read a djvu document perfectly.

However, after having copied the xo package on another xo (XO 1.5
running from a SD Card), without previous djvulibre/djview installation,
I ran into unmet dependencies. I had an error while loading djview4 and
libQtGui.so.4.

Copying djview from the build system to the target system (e.g.
in /usr/local/bin ) should solve the problem, however this is not a
solution in order to create a portable activity.

Sorry for the basic issues, I am not a developper.

Regards,

Samy