[Olpc-france] extend the memory flash space with an SD card to build open80211s

Aime Vareille aime.vareille at wanadoo.fr
Fri Mar 13 14:27:47 EDT 2009

pgf at laptop.org a écrit :
> rekik wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > I tried to build the kernel open80211s on a group of machines which use
>  > ubuntu 8.10 and it's work. Now I had to build it on an XO. The problem
>  > is that I don't have enough space on my flash memory ( 1Go ). So, I had
>  > to extend it with an SD card ( to have a space > 1024 Mo), but I
>  > don't know the steps to make this solution and the minimum size of the
>  > SD card..
>  >
>  > can anyone help me !!!
>
> it sounds like you're trying to do the build of open80211s on
> the XO itself.  most people don't do development for the XO that way --
> we build on another machine, and move the binaries onto the XO.
>
> for simple programs, you can build on most any modern linux
> distribution and your binary will work on the XO, because the
> libraries and environment tend to be compatible.  (you could
> perhaps build a static binary to be sure.)
>
> the XO is based on fedora, so a fedora machine will be the best
> build host.

Yes, but debian can also run on XO.
However I found http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ubuntu_On_OLPC_XO not good
because it puts the fedora kernel on the ubuntu which works with some
discrepencies ; it takes also some time because of qemu and the boot is
not optimal.
Today, the stuff with debian on XO is cleaner and very fast to install
and test ; http://wiki.laptop.org/go/DebXO is the best page I found
about it :
 # zcat debxo-$DESKTOP.ext3.img.gz > /dev/sdX  (for instance, sdb; not sdb1)
And update the firmware to q2e34.rom at http://dev.laptop.org/pub/firmware/
Then it works fine either on SD card or USB pendrive of 2 GB minimum and
you can still boot and use the native fedora XO build.
With SD cards you could need some swap that can be made with a file
/swap.bin as explained at
http://www.olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=4053.0
However, I have to compile a more recent kernel because the 2.6.25
version on that debian lenny is not sufficient for some of my experiments.
With all the wiki documentation pages I don't know on which I should write.
Regards
Aimé