[OLPC-DE] [Olpcaustria-intern] OLPC Europe Camping, Croatia

Christoph Derndorfer e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sa Jun 7 12:35:57 EDT 2008

Hey everyone,

I'm here at 1CC in Boston at the moment and bouncing off ideas about
both regional and global grassroots gatherings with SJ...

We wanted to know whether there was any specific timeframe that people
had in mind with regards to the meeting in Croatia?

We were also thinking that it would make sense to have a tiered
approach, with one global meeting and maybe two additional regional
meetings per continent per year.

There are many occasions and events where a sub-set of olpc community
members will meet (CeBit, CLT, Linuxtage, Linuxwochen, Hackerspace,
etc.) but I feel it's very important to try and get a larger number of
people from different countries and backgrounds together at least twice
a year to improve collaboration and communication between the grassroots
organizations. We should also try and make an effort to better document
what we're doing and discussing during these events so everyone knows
what everyone else is up to.

Obviously olpcnews.com is also available as a platform to report on your
current projects, efforts, thoughts, whatever - e-mail me at
christoph at olpcnews.com if you want to write a guest-article or something.

As always, please let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Christoph

Kristijan Fabina schrieb:
> Hi folks,
>
> Aaron and I had a conversation last week at community wireless summit
> in washington about the next steps in doing something concrete in
> Europe through the OLPC movement so regarding his plan to organize a
> meeting where OLPC communities from Europe can apply and work on
> cooperation, ideas, projects etc., we decided to organize such invent
> in Croatia this summer. It's difficult to find sponsors who will cover
> the expences for all the attendees so the idea is camping in nature
> close to some small city or something where we can get the electricity
> and Internet access although Internet is not so important in this
> case. We would like to make this meeting in such that will bring us as
> many concrete stuff as it can so discussion will be required mostly.
> We'll bring a panel so we can discuss and write immediately concrete
> stuff about the experiences that each communtiy has, what they did
> till now and what can we all do together. The most common thing is
> pilot project to all of us so this will be one of the subjects.
>
> We didn't decide about the date/month so we would like to hear
> suggestions. Weekend is the best choice for everyone. Maybe August?
> While we work on finding the place for camping and maybe some sponsor,
> please if anyone has in plan to attend - suggest the date.
> OLPC Croatia and OLPC Austria are planning pilot project for the next
> year and the orders for the XO's have been made so we'll be present on
> that meeting for sure. We would like to see as many people as we can
> so we can help each other with pushing this pilots as much as possible
> in other countries as well.
>
> Btw, the place of meeting will be on the adriatic coast so yea, we'll
> have a chance for swimming and stuff :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Kristijan, Kiko
> OLPC Croatia