[OLPC-Chicago] New project

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 00:27:10 EDT 2011

I am starting a new project at Sugar Labs, which I call Replacing
Textbooks. An XO sells to governments in quantity at $189. There are
textbooks that cost that much. When we replace printed textbooks with
Open Education Resources (OERs) under Creative Commons licenses, we
should be able to get schools to switch over completely, assuming that
we can get through the politics surrounding education.

The new project is based on the recently released booki software for
collaborative writing, editing, and publishing, created by FLOSS
Manuals, which wrote a set of OLPC and Sugar manuals using their
previous software.

http://booki.flossmanuals.net

We are setting up the new server now, and will announce its location
when we have configured and debugged it.

I moved to Columbus, Indiana, somewhat over a year ago, and recently
attended the Indianapolis LinuxFest. I will be on staff next year.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/