[OLPC-Chicago] [sugar] On the Naming of Sugar

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri May 16 18:35:27 EDT 2008

We had a discussion of naming of Sugar components on the Sugarlabs
mailing list, including the following exchange. Walter Bender has
asked me to find out whether anybody here has a contact at the Walter
and Connie Payton Foundation, or whether somebody local would like to
give them a call. We would like to invite them to discuss Sugar,
"Sweetness", and HB5000, for health and for the children worldwide.

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 2:53 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Maybe we need to adopt the late great Walter Payton, "sweetness" as
>> our official mascot.
>
> http://www.payton34.com/ Walter and Connie Payton Foundation

(847) 605-0034

> We could ask the Foundation if they would be interested. Organ
> donations, cancer funding, and toys for underprivileged children would
> fit right into our mission. Particularly in the context of Illiniois
> HB 5000, The Children's Low-Cost Laptop Act, now before the Senate. I
> want a poster of two Chicago South-Side children with XOs saying, "Us
> haz teh bestest toyz." With Sweetness beaming on them from above.
> Although we would have to explain the concepts of leet-speak and
> lolcats to a lot of the public. And the lOLPCat photo on Flickr.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Payton
> "Payton's legacy continues through the charitable Walter and Connie
> Payton Foundation. His own appeals for greater awareness of the need
> for organ donations, and after his death, his foundation's, are widely
> credited with bringing national attention to the problem.[30] After
> his appeal, donations in Illinois skyrocketed, and the regional organ
> bank of Illinois was overwhelmed with calls.[31] In response, the City
> of Chicago inserted organ donation requests into city vehicle
> registration mailings in early 2000, and by August 2000, 13,000 people
> had signed into the program.[32] The foundation continues to run a
> program that Payton organized to donate toys to underprivileged
> children across the Chicago area each Christmas.[33] The family
> established the Walter Payton Cancer Fund in 2002.[34]"
>
>> I've posted your taxonomy here:
>>
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Taxonomy
>>
>> -walter
>>

>> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
>> <mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think this is brilliant!
>>>
>>> Marco

Edward Cherlin