[OLPC-Chicago] Chicago Office Needs...

Robert Myers rmyers7 at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 7 10:02:56 EST 2008

Mark,

> School Server:
> I have a couple PCs that I am decommissioning. Perhaps one of these could be
> used as a school server? (Sorry I haven't had time to review the required
> specs on the wiki). If the hardware is compatible and someone is willing to
> perform the configuration, you're welcome to it. If we keep it in my office,
> I could put it on the WAN (low priority bandwidth, but I'm assuming that it
> does not need much?)

OLPC is currently assembling some 'XSX' school servers to a very
specific hardware implementation. It's detailed here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XSX_Server_Implementation

There is also a more general specification:

     *  1GHz+ x86 processor
     * 1 GB main memory
     * Four to six USB interfaces, with power for three Marvell Wifi
nodes and an external disk drive.
     * One 300GB+ 3.5in SATA drive (500 GB makes more sense right now)
     * Power and space for a second disk drive
     * Two 100baseT network interfaces (one will do in some cases)
     * Minimal fans

In the wiki it's noted that 'A conventional desktop machine (Intel or
AMD 586+)' is a target platform.

So a recycled desktop machine may work if it meets the basic spec.
However there are (it seems to me) a couple of issues with this. First,
the closer we stay to their spec, the simpler it should be to get one up
and running. I offered to help with this and my level of Linux expertise
currently is that I stand a fair chance of doing something if I know it
can be done, and there's prior art to steal. So get farther afield and
I'm less confident. Second, if we consider this an act in support of
OLPC, the closer we stay to their practice, the more relevant our
experiences will be to them.

So, if someone wants to try to get up a XSX using a recycled box as a
learning tool, go ahead, and share your experiences. For a semi-official
project of the local group, I'd suggest a clone of the current XSX
prototypes.

The box isn't free but it isn't that expensive either:
Specced CPU board with memory & testing $220
More powerful alternative board + $50
(Both these boards can be had in faster fanned versions for about the
same price.)
Specced Case $50
500 Gb Drive $100-125
All plus shipping and local taxes.