[OLPC-Chicago] Language learning (TinyLanguage Project)

Scott Van Den Plas scottv at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 16:58:29 EST 2008

Hello all,

Sorry I couldn't make it to the meetup, I was out of the country at the
time.  A number of you have come to me to tell me that an idea similar to
the one we are developing was pitched at the meeting, and this is great to
hear!  As a number of you know, we have been working on a language learning
program for low cost computing devices, including the OLPC, called
TinyLanguage.  I have recently applied for a Knight Foundation grant for the
idea and have been slowly moving along that process.  I would love to merge
our efforts to cut out the redundancy.  Along those lines, here's what we
have encountered and learned (sorry for the length in advance).

First off, Rosetta Stone has been unsuccessfully (last I checked) applying
for patents and copyrights in their learning methodology.  There is a
significant amount of prior work, and the program we are working on is
extremely and fundamentally different in scope and application.  The only
cross over is that they happen to be language learning programs.  I suggest
that you take this same route to avoid any, even if accidental, appearance
of "stealing" the idea.  We probably want to avoid referring to this as
"Rosetta Stone-like" and start calling it by what it really is, a
comprehension based language learning tool.

Here is a posting from Illlist that I made last october: