[OLPC-Chicago] XO touchscreen drivers for accessibility, Aug. 23

Matt Barkau rmattb1 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 00:35:21 EDT 2008

Hello,
I'm preparing an open source accessibility project for the XO, and it would
greatly benefit from a touchpanel for users with limited motor control.
I'll be in the Chicago area on Saturday August 23 with two XOs and a USB
touchpanel, and am curious if anyone with Linux HID driver installation
experience would like to get together to work on this.

Some specifics on the touchpanel & drivers:
This is an IRTouch E08 panel:  www.irtouchusa.com/e_pro_list.htm .
The touchpanel drivers & instructions I've tried for Ubuntu are probably
leaving out key, lower-level steps needed for the OLPC OS, but I do not have
experience that close to the metal with Linux drivers (most of my experience
is on application servers with no fancy HID hardware.)  I've tried these so
far: www.unitop.cc/info/200855/200855173933.shtml ,
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412669 , manually doing the steps
in the Perl files, and then some progressively more radical changes to
/etc/X11/xorg.conf , which eventually hosed X.  Reloading the XO build is
easy, but it doesn't appear that getting the drivers working will be.  At
this point, I can provide hardware, encouragement, a fun application, and a
compelling use case.  :)

Please let me know if you're interested;  thanks much!
 Matt Barkau