[OLPC-Chicago] The Children's Low-cost Laptop Act passes the Illinois House!

Larry Langellier llangellier at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 9 12:05:33 EDT 2008

House Bill 5000, The Children’s Low-cost Laptop Act, passed unanimously (110-0) through the Illinois House of Representatives yesterday! It now needs a strong push to move through the Senate. Please email me if you would like an information sheet on the bill - it is too large to send through the olpc-chicago listserve.

Huge thanks to all 9 of the bill's House Sponsors:

Cynthia Soto (D-Chicago)
Constance A. Howard (D-Chicago)
LaShawn K. Ford (D-Chicago)
Ruth Munson (R-Elgin)
Jack D. Franks (D-Woodstock)
Patrick J  Verschoore (D-Rock Island)
Karen A. Yarbrough (D-Broadview)
Elizabeth Hernandez (D-Cicero)
Esther Golar (D-Chicago)

Now, to the Senate.

List of 59 IL State Senators: http://www.ilga.gov/senate/

Identify *your* Senator:
http://www.elections.illinois.gov/districtlocator/SelectSearchType.aspx

Email your Senator:
http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2007/08/heres-where-to-.html

--------------------------------
***HOW YOU CAN HELP -- BELOW***
--------------------------------
Here's a template you can use to write State Senators. Modify it to suit your style. :) I also urge you to call their office and encourage them to sign on as co-sponsors when they have the chance.

Dear Senator _____________,

I believe that laptop computers can help improve, and maybe even transform, elementary school education in Illinois.

When you have the chance to vote on the Illinois Children's Low-cost Laptop Act (House Bill 5000), I hope you will think about the kids in our community, whose future social, economic and educational opportunities will be tied to their command of technology.

The Children's Low Cost Laptop Act calls on the Illinois State Board of Education to administer a pilot project that would allow up to 300 elementary schools in Illinois to receive grant funding for low-cost (under $400) laptops. Support for professional development (teacher training), school building readiness and laptop repair are accounted for in the bill. Elementary schools like ______________________________ in our community could benefit if this bill becomes law.

But make no mistake. I know that laptops alone will not fix all the problems in our schools.

The fundamentals -- reading, writing, math, history, science, art and music, too -- can all be learned and reinforced with computer technology. We must make it a priority in Illinois to produce a generation of young people who can compete with kids in other states and other parts of the globe. House Bill 5000 is a real step in this direction. Thank you for considering my letter, and for your work on behalf of the people of ________________.

Sincerely,

YOUR NAME
YOUR ADDRESS
YOUR PHONE NUMBER