[OLPC-Chicago] Hi There...

Atul Varma varmaa at gmail.com
Tue May 1 12:30:45 EDT 2007

On 5/1/07, Chris McAvoy <chris.mcavoy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes!  Absolutely!
>
> What did you guys have in mind?  Building out a light-weight web-dev
> thing?  I wouldn't be able to help with the Mozilla bits, but I think
> I could lend a hand with coming up with some sort of best practice for
> building local web apps.  Would they run from the XO?  Or are you
> talking about building stuff that's optimized for the XO, but would
> run on a server?

I was thinking that they would run from the XO.

I think it would be neat to "port" (though I'm not sure exactly how much
"porting" would be required, if any) something like Crunchy/Crunchy Frog (
http://code.google.com/p/crunchy/).  Ian says that there's sort of political
stuff going on in the higher echelons of OLPC that are dictating what
platform to use, or something--apparently everyone up there is interested in
Sugar and doesn't see the web as a viable platform for OLPC, so if we were
to create a sort of "killer app" that's localhost web-based, it could turn
some heads.

A web app that takes advantage of the mesh network would be especially
awesome--say, for instance, a MOO-like environment where all the inhabitants
were the local people in the mesh network or something...

- Atul