[OLPC-Chicago] Introduction

Robert Myers rmyers7 at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 21 13:38:19 EST 2007

Hello,

I've got no idea how many folks are on this list, or what their
background is, other than that there seems to be an overlap with chipy,
so I thought I'd introduce myself. I hope you don't mind if it's
longish, but I figure that openness and background can help the
community aspect here.

I guess I'll start with the end, why I joined, and what I hope to get
out of it. I purchased a G1G1 XO, and am anxiously waiting for it. It
seems from OLPC that initial individual adopters here are going to be
left primarily to their own resources as to support -- sort of like the
early personal computer days. So, seeing a Chicago area list, I figure
that it's a good first point of contact.

Ok, myself and what got me interested in the XO. I'm an old techie. I
felt that I was grown up, as far as computers went, the first time that
I had a job where somebody else got paid to type my deck of cards. I was
an early adopter in the personal computer scene, and still have my
IMSAI in the basement. I've worked in the industry on projects ranging
from embedded controllers to client server financial systems. I've
worked in the telecommunications, financial, and medical systems industries.

I've been involved with some interesting technologies, not all of which
have panned out. For example, back about twenty five years ago, I worked
on an attempt at a video editor using the technology of the time. A
S-100 bus computer with a touch screen interface gave the user a virtual
Movieola. A custom card talked to 8051 microcontroller controlled tape
decks which keyed up the video. You basically made a list of the cuts
you wanted, and the tape decks would give you a virtual print. I look
and something like iMovie, and am amazed. The idea that all the video
could be stored digitally, and viewed real time, and that it comes as
part of a $79 consumer product that runs on a consumer computer that
costs about the same as the video card I was using, was inconceivable at
the time.

I've also been interested in Constructivist education. I bought an early
copy of Papert's Mindstorm's and had LOGO on several machines along the
way.

So when I first heard of the OLPC project my interest was piqued. I
thought -- "Ah, Negroponte is a neat guy. Nobody seems to seriously
listen to him, but neat. This could be interesting." That's where it
pretty much sat until G1G1 was announced. At that point I figured that I
should check this out in more detail. I was really expecting a Linux
Internet appliance and little more. When I started realizing that there
was a whole new interface that was designed around the functionality
they were aiming for, and that this was designed as a Constuctivist
learning tool my interest was seriously piqued. What probably clinched
it was the fact of having Smalltalk, LOGO, and Python all as accessible
programming environments built into the machine. Anyone could develop
for it, anyone could come up with their own solutions. Shades of the
days that all personal computers shipped with BASIC. Heck, many were
little more than BASIC appliances.

To me this all seems like a giant step back to the future. Where
personal computers have increasingly gone to being a general office
machine (MS Office), and a content delivery system (iTunes), this brings
us back to when they were tools for individual creativity.

So this brings me to a final story to show where my frustration lies,
and why I hope that Nicholas' vision might help free us all. I'm
currently underemployed as a 'Library Secretary' for a school district.
This means I get to do about anything around the school library, other
than teach the kids, for about a third of what a teacher makes. One of
the tasks I routinely deal with involves telnet. I have to do this on a
Windows box, not a Mac (we've got both). Why? We have an aftermarket
Windows telnet program. I can't run telnet on the Mac, because there
aren't any aftermarket telnets for the Mac. Why? Because it's built into
the OS, so nobody sees the point in reimplementing it. Why can't I use
it? Because, teacher accounts don't allow you to get into Terminal,
because that's too dangerous. I can get to the DOS prompt on the Windows
boxes, which is just as dangerous, and less useful, and which by the way
includes telnet. Why? Because the Macs are easier to manage (and
restrict). So this also means that students, even if they were
interested in programming, and exposed to it, can't get to Python --
which comes on every Mac.

Thanks for letting me bend your collective ear,

Bob Myers