[OLPC.ch] Introduce Myself

Urs Lerch mail at ulerch.net
Tue Jul 6 09:21:36 EDT 2010

Hi Manfred

Welcome to the OLPC community. It's allways great to hear from folks who
earn a living with open source software!

To your question: As far as I know there never was a G1G1 in one
country. It's true, there was twice such an action, the first time
(2007) limited to the USA and Canada, the second time (2008) worldwide
(I'm told there were about a handful of buyers in Switzerland). About a
year ago some guys from Belgium tried to coordinate an order, but I
never heard they succeeded. In fact, recently there was a project in
Switzerland as well. But as there were too many legal and other
problems, they stopped their project.

But if you are really interested in the OLPC and the XO, it's not too
hard to get hold of a laptop. There's the so called "contributor
program" of OLPC (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Contributors_program), where
you can post a project and get, if accepted, a freely shipped device.
Another possibility is to contribute to our XO-contest
(http://www.xo-contest.ch). We happily lend you a laptop for a cool idea
of yours.

Since you are really welcome as follower, we would warmly welcome you as
contributor!

Best
Urs