[OLPC-AU] Testing Summary - Auckland 13 October 2012

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 02:06:04 EDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 3:52 AM, Tabitha Roder <tabitha at tabitha.net.nz> wrote:
> Auckland Testing Summary 13 October 2012
> Who: Alana, Fabiana, John, Oliver, Tabitha and Tom

> Clock does not speak the time but otherwise works. Changing to English
> fixes the talking clock. Note that the Days of the week were not
> translated, but everything else was. Log attached.

There is no e-speak "voice" or "language" file specific for Maori.  I
think Barry Vercoe will be looking into addressing that.

http://espeak.sourceforge.net/languages.html

http://espeak.sourceforge.net/voices.html

> Speak has an english accent and doesn't understand the macrons. The
> robot greeting "I'm a robot alice..." has been translated but the
> robot converses in english otherwise.

Same issue as talking clock, both use e-speak voice engine.

One alternative used by some people is to try all different available
voice options to find one that sounds approximately like it should
(based on similar language phoneme structure).  This is a poor
alternative to having a language specific voice, but might work in the
interim.

cjl