[OLPC-AU] Auckland Testing Summary 29 September 2012

Jerry Vonau jerry at laptop.org.au
Mon Oct 8 01:56:47 EDT 2012

On 6 October 2012 13:27, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Jerry Vonau <jerry at laptop.org.au> wrote:
> > Thanks for testing.
> >
> > On 5 October 2012 23:47, Tom Parker <tom at carrott.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Auckland Testing Summary 29 September 2012
> >> Who: John, Oliver, Tabitha, Tom
> >> Testing build 44 11.3.1-au
> >>
> >> XO-1.75:
> >> Browse 192.3!! Rocking like it’s January 2010!
> >> Based on Firefox 3.6.23, 5 security releases made since!
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox_3.6#cite_note-41
> >> Crashes if you visit large image, previously reported as olpc #11569
> >> Google docs complains browser is out of date.
> >> Can create google docs unlike latest Browse
> >> Can open links in new tabs unlike latest Browse
> >> It’s quite slow, get slow script warning on wikipedia!
> >

> > noted
> >

> >> Somehow we managed to download a new webkit browse.xo and install it on
> >> one laptop. This version of browse didn’t work at all. We got this
> version
> >> by downloading on an x86 laptop from a page with a big list of versions
> >> (sorry, we don’t know exactly where). Shouldn’t the XO refuse to install
> >> something that won’t actually work with it?
> >>

> > The new webkit based browse.xo is sugar 0.96 or greater, presently there
> is
> > no way to stop users from shooting themselves in the foot by installing a
> > bundle that is not supported on their version of sugar.
>
> Hmm. I thought activities.sugarlabs.org was a bit smarter than that.
> That said, the bundle could have come from elsewhere.

Well it is if you use browse to view activities.sugarlabs.org, but I
suspect the activity was downloaded to a usbkey on a different machine then
auto installed by launching it from the usbkey. Think the real fix might
run deep into sugar's inner workings, some discussion at
http://sugardextrose.org/issues/1532

Jerry