[OLPC-AU] Auckland testing 3 November 2012

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Fri Nov 9 21:57:48 EST 2012

Auckland testing 3 November 2012
Who: John, Oliver, Tabitha, Tom

Testing olpc-au builds on XO-1.75 and 12.1.0 on XO-1.

Ran Software Update on au888 and found it blocks the whole GUI during
some operations but not others. It overlays anything in the “activity” view.
You can’t differentiate between what is an upgrade (for example chart)
and what is a new install (for example DidgArt) as they all say “New
Version” which to me implies they are upgrades.
What is the difference between the ok and cancel buttons? If you select
something, and then click OK the updater disappears rather than
installing it.

Digart 27 seems to work well. It has the small mouse pointer instead of
the big sugar mouse pointer. The small oval is too small to reproduce
the drawing in the activity icon, the legs and the dots are much too big
by comparison.

When playing back things from within Record the sound is very very
crackly sometimes. We reported this in browse a couple of weeks ago.

Tam Tam is broken

Sound quality varies dramatically depending on the playback level when
played from within record.

Moa XO1.75 C2 build 889
Write works
Calculate basic test works
Timeline (not part of the build but added using software update from my
settings) installs but crashes on activity start (got logs)
Record had some sound quality issues
Getbooks works and Read works
Browse basic test works
Measure on right hand channel have to adjust volume level but all the
volume control is right at the top

Hoiho XO-1.75 C2 build au889 0.94.1
Record 96.1 had some speaker crackling issues on some video playbacks
but not everytime
Speak 42 basic test works
Tamtam mini  63.1 basic test works
Memorize 36 - works, can play all preloaded games and sizes, can create
basic text game
Ruler - rotate screen and the measurement from the edge of the screen is
no longer accurate - change the writing on the screen?
Stopwatch 16 works
Clock 9 works
Paint 43 works
Physics 9 works
Spirolaterals  23 works

Hoiho in Maori
Read works
Browse is almost fully translated - remaining two translations are “set
home page” and “go to homepage” buttons.
Maze works
Moon fails to start
Clock doesn’t talk and has day of week in English
Ruler works and is translated
Speak works but has a bad accent
Write works, found you can make a line over the a in Maori by typing Ma
then holding alt gr whilst pressing the - key. Yay! Seems to have menus
translated.

Read needs instructions on how to get a book. As it stands it is pretty
unusable

12.1.0 on XO-1 had some trouble with wifi network display in the
Neighbourhood. We test in a heavily populated wifi area, our network
appeared for a while and then disappeared. There are many worrying
exceptions in shell.log (attached).