[OLPC-AU] Testing Summary, Auckland - 5 May 2012

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Tue May 8 04:50:48 EDT 2012

Testing Summary, Auckland - 5 May 2012
Who: John, Fabiana, Tabitha, Tom

We tested olpc-au build 217 11.3.1-au on XO-1.5 and olpc 12.1.0 build
8 on XO-1.75

olpc-au build 217 11.3.1-au, Sugar 0.94.1 tested on Ivy and Rosella
Ivy firmware Q3C05
Changed timezone to Auckland. The search didn’t work so I had to
scroll to Pacific/Auckland which is a bit more fiddly.
Noticed that there is no need to complete any tag or naming
information when you press stop, it just exits the activity (on both
Ivy and Rosella).

Record on Ivy - photos in high and low quality appear the same. Video
recorded in high and low quality for 20 seconds each and the files are
different sizes. Audio recording 20 seconds worked.
Jukebox on Ivy plays the videos from Record (opening from Journal
starts this activity). The different qualities are clear.
Image viewer on Ivy shows the photos taken in Record (opening from
Journal starts this activity).
Speak on Ivy - type something works in English, robot works in
English. Not tested any further than that.
Stopwatch on Ivy - works
Memorize - issue review from previous build - on ad hoc network 1 Ivy
shared Memorize and Rosella joined. They see each other and they could
play through a whole game (addition), start and complete other games
(letters and sounds). Ivy created a game and could successfully play
with Rosella.
Measure - issue review from previous build - Ivy and Rosella seem to
need very different amplitude settings to give the same graph.
Clock on Ivy - issue review from previous build - display time in full
letters still does not show the time, it just shows “what time is
it?”. Talking Clock just says “what time is it?” and does not tell you
the time.
Tamtam mini on Ivy - works
Maze on Ivy - works, like that you can change the level (didn’t test
collaboration).
Ruler on Ivy - works
Physics on Ivy - works
Implode on Ivy - works
Visual match on Ivy - beginner worked, but when I did intermediate it
gave me a smiley face half way through a game with cards still
underneath it (don’t think that I should have qualified for the smiley
face so early in the game).
Poll on Ivy - works
Moon on Ivy - works
Arithmetic on Ivy - works
Flipsticks on Ivy - seems to work. Would be good if you could add more frames.
Turtlemachine on Ivy - works, did 5 of 40 patterns.
Cartoonbuilder on Ivy -  works
Wikipedia EN on Ivy - works
GCompris Clickgame - works
Infoslicer - created an activity and loaded in Browse successfully. To
get articles using the search function you have to be connected to the
internet (it doesn’t use the wikipedia activities?). Changed the
activity and republished it but couldn’t check it in Browse as Browse
continuously fails to start.
Browse failed to start on Ivy, repeatedly. Restarting the laptop a few
times didn’t help.

Paint on Rosella - The colour picker does not reliably open when you
click on it - but not clear what the story there is. Bucket fill is
very slow. At one point going to the colour picker made paint crash,
but we could not reproduce the crash. See attached log for a bunch of
errors and what probably killed it:
/home/olpc/Activities/Paint.activity/Area.py:608: GtkWarning:
IA__gdk_image_get_pixel: assertion `y >= 0 && y < image->height'
failed
 width, height, self.gc_line.foreground.pixel)
/home/olpc/Activities/Paint.activity/Area.py:608: GtkWarning:
IA__gdk_image_put_pixel: assertion `y >= 0 && y < image->height'
failed
 width, height, self.gc_line.foreground.pixel)
Terminated by signal 9, pid 842 data (None, <open file '<fdopen>',
mode 'w' at 0x9bc6d88>,
'/home/olpc/.sugar/default/logs/org.laptop.Oficina-2.log',
dbus.ByteArray('1ed226d4c5fe34d1310409fb1b5a78fee5c04825',
variant_level=1))

Turtleart on Rosella - works
Measure on Rosella - works
Implode on Rosella - works
Wikipedia EN on Rosella - works
Followme on Rosella - crashed during play. The speed at which the
changes appear on the screen is too slow and it hangs on too long on
each picture which interrupts the mental game as the player loses
focus. The neuroscientist amongst us says it is the wrong time length
for short term memory.
Numbers activity on Rosella - works but we don’t enjoy the game. Small
changes in the level increase slider doesn’t seem to make the
difficulty increase.

**********

olpc 12.1.0 build 8 tested on XO-1.75s - Kotare
Write on Kotare - typesize seems small on standard setting (found
default zoom was 188% so had to zoom in even more to read it even when
typing in size 16). Lots of formatting options tested and they seemed
to work.

Distance had issues (sorry, can't remember names of XOs we used).
Between an XO-1.5 and XO-1.75 it gave crazy measurements. Couldn’t get
it to work at all between two XO-1.75s.

Wikipedia EN on Hoiho - loaded front page but when you choose a
category it says unable to load page, problem occured while loading
the URL http://localhost:8001/wiki/Energy, Connection terminated
unexpectedly. Back button in toolbar doesn’t work but home button
does. On repeating the same (click on Energy) the back button now does
work. Restart activity and the back button works but the error message
stays the same. Also get this message on the other links on the home
page of this activity. Also it takes a very long time to load this
activity.
Wikipedia ES on Hoiho - same issues as Wikipedia EN.

*****************

Investigating collaboration instability on os8 on XO-1.75
We see many many errors like this in shell.log:

1336180124.451687 ERROR dbus.connection: Exception in handler for D-Bus signal:
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 214,
in maybe_handle_message
    self._handler(*args, **kwargs)
 File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/jarabe/model/neighborhood.py",
line 430, in __buddy_info_updated_cb
    self.emit('buddy-updated', self._buddy_handles[handle], properties)
KeyError: dbus.UInt32(7L)

It’s not clear if these errors are indicative of a more serious error
or if they can be ignored. I did get the neighbourhood to become
inconsistent but it was hard to isolate the problem among all the
other seemingly “normal” errors in the log.

Modifying the code to log more information in this particular
situation wasn’t so useful because all the laptops have a hostname of
“none” and the laptop name isn’t present in the properties.
Correllating the IP address is possible but difficult in a less
controled environment. Should changing the name of the laptop change
the hostname?

if (self._buddy_handles.has_key(handle)):
   self.emit('buddy-updated', self._buddy_handles[handle], properties)
else:
   logging.warning('received update for unknown buddy %r\nknow
%s\nproperties %s', handle, self._buddy_handles, properties)

def __buddy_info_updated_cb(self, handle, properties):
   logging.debug('_Account.__buddy_info_updated_cb %r', handle)
   if (self._buddy_handles.has_key(handle)):
       self.emit('buddy-updated', self._buddy_handles[handle], properties)
   else:
       logging.warning('received update for unknown buddy %r\nknow
%s\nproperties %s', handle, self._buddy_handles, properties)

While doing development on 4 XOs (one to run the code, one to watch
the log, one to read the documentation and one to edit the source) it
turns out it would be nice if the XO itself was a git repository or
similar, so you can do a diff against what you had before. I’m
hesitant to suggest that this is generally useful for the target
audience, but it shouldn’t be too hard to copy a .git into the right
place(s) and be able to do a diff. Has anyone got a recipe for doing
this?

Thanks
NZ testers