[OLPC-AU] [Sugar-devel] Browse is old

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Mon Mar 12 10:01:47 EDT 2012

El día 12 de marzo de 2012 08:32, Peter Robinson
<pbrobinson at gmail.com> escribió:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 4:58 AM, Sridhar Dhanapalan
> <sridhar at laptop.org.au> wrote:
>> On 3 March 2012 23:52, Sridhar Dhanapalan <sridhar at laptop.org.au> wrote:
>>> Browse is old and not useful for a lot of newer content. Our
>>> communities are creating content in HTML5, an effort that we want to
>>> encourage.
>>>
>>> However, Browse is based on the Gecko in engine in Firefox 3.6, which
>>> is far behind the times. I know that is is being ported to WebKit [1]
>>> as part of the GTK+3 transition. However, it'll be at least a year
>>> before we roll out a GTK+3 version of Sugar in our schools. What can
>>> we do in the interim?
>>>
>>> We can load a different Web browser, especially since now since saved
>>> files can be shared with the journal via the Documents/ directory [3].
>>>  The best I've found is an Opera wrapper from Flavio [2]. It scores
>>> much higher than Browse for HTML5 compliance [4], but nowhere near as
>>> much as Firefox 10 or Chromium 17. Also, Opera is proprietary
>>> software.
>>>
>>> Sridhar
>>>

>>> [1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/WebKit
>>> [2] http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4503
>>> [3] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.94/Notes#Easier_file_exchange..
>>> [4] http://html5test.com/
>>

>> Bernie raised an interesting idea. Would it be reasonable to backport
>> the WebKit Browse to the OLPC OS 11.3? We could statically link the
>> dependencies in the bundle.
>
> Personally I think it's unlikely as the webkit Browse depends on newer
> versions of webkitgtk3/gtk3/glib2/gobject-introspection that just
> aren't in Fedora 14 and in a lot of cases conflict with the versions
> in Fedora 14. Browse depends on things that aren't even in Fedora 16
> so it would likely be a lot of work to get it working, even as a
> static build.

Yes as Peter says, is unlikely that the current effort porting Browse
to WebKit using gobject introspection can be ported again to static
bindings.  Mainly because is work in progress, and will require a lot
of work.  Please look forward for the GTK3 version, hope we can land
in deploys as soon as possible.

--
.. manuq ..