[OLPC-AU] Testing Summary, Auckland - 26 May 2012

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Jun 7 03:50:30 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 12:47:19PM +0530, Deepak Muddha wrote:
> On 3 June 2012 17:23, Tom Parker <tom at carrott.org> wrote:
> > Robot. asked ?who makes the babies? and it returns ?/random name/
> > colon? Why is it saying colon? otherwise seems fine
>
> I think the "colon" indicates a punctuation mark ( : ).For example
> if the random name was john, then it pronounces as "John:". Do you
> have any other information regarding this?

I have other information.  I can easily reproduce the symptom using
Speak-38 on 12.1.0 os12 on XO-1.75.

I agree that colon probably indicates punctuation, but the punctuation
should not be pronounced using the word "colon".  It should be a brief
pause.  But as it is on the end of an utterance, it need not be
pronounced at all.  I suggest you raise this specific case with Sugar
Labs bug tracker or the Speak maintainer.  Perhaps the response to
"WHO MAKES THE BABIES?" should be the same as the response to "HOW DO
YOU MAKE BABIES?" or "WHERE DO BABIES COME FROM?"

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/