[OLPC-AU] [Dextrose] Interesting side effect of journal multi-select

Martin Abente martin.abente.lahaye at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 07:44:42 EDT 2012

I agree that consistency is a VERY important design principle. Is not my
intention to start a deep philosophic discussion about it. But I think we
should keep in mind that there could be a trade-off between consistency and
practicality here.

>From my experience in the field, I always noticed that users have MANY
copies of different/same activities in their journal. Most of the times
they leave it there because they find it useful (so they could reinstall it
later, etc), other times they just forget to remove them.

What worries me is that in the practice the earlier consideration could be
the norm and that it will cause not only a slow copying process but also
big storage space waste and a pollution of unwanted activities to be
installed.

Hopefully I am wrong. Maybe is because of my original thoughts about this
feature as a "more intuitive" mechanism to assist on backups/restore
processes. Maybe in the practice the scenario I see is not as common as I
imagine it and users are more careful about what they are copying or not
than I expect.

Anyway, I am really glad the feature was continued and that has proven its
value even in unintentional ways :)