[OLPC-AU] Run OFW heat spreader test

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 23 00:17:53 EST 2012

On Mon, 2012-01-23 at 13:00 +1100, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> We are using a custom olpc.fth to present a boot menu so that users
> can easily flash their XOs. As a precaution, we run a lid switches
> test before the OS installation begins. Some of our XOs have older,
> less effective heat spreaders, and we would like to catch these before
> they get burnt-out by the flashing process.
>
> The automatic lid switches test is confusing some teachers. Ideally we
> only want to run the heat spreader test part of it, so that the test
> is transparent and the user doesn't need to close the lid.
>
> Is this possible?

I thought with the physical layout of the motherboard, CPU towards the
outside of the screen lid, that e-book mode would be the hardest on the
XO in terms of heat dissipation. Given there in no active cooling, is
the heat spreader test not measuring the difference in temperature
between the 2 modes of operation?

Jerry