[OLPC-AU] limits on ad-hoc connections

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Thu Feb 9 14:44:15 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:59 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> No, that's not how ad-hoc works.  I'll simplify and translate for you.

Your explanation is correct but doesn't exactly match the buggy
behaviour of our wireless hardware/firmware. As far as I can tell, the
ad-hoc nodes in our setup make no attempt to synchronize
clocks/beacons, nor do they stop transmitting their own beacons in the
presence of another node transmitting beacons too. I guess this is why
our ad-hoc networks perform slower and less reliably than the XO-1
mesh, which at least had synchronization.

Daniel