[OLPC-AU] XO still bootable with incomplete fs-update

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Thu Apr 12 01:16:28 EDT 2012

Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought that fs-update had been
modified to make the XO unbootable unless the process was allowed to
complete. I think this was achieved by blanking the first block and
only writing it properly at the end.

I am finding that XOs that have received an incomplete fs-update (e.g.
if power was cut in the middle) still proceed to the boot process.
Given that the OS hasn't been completely written, the behaviour after
that is unpredictable. This can result in countless problems in the
field.

Is there a transparent and foolproof way to ensure that the XO will
only boot if the OS writing is allowed to complete? This applies to a
NANDblaster receive as well.

Thanks,
Sridhar

Sridhar Dhanapalan