[OLPC-AU] XO-1.75 relative performance

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 10:27:28 EDT 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Sascha Silbe
<sascha-ml-reply-to-2011-4 at silbe.org> wrote:
> System          SoC/CPU                 OS + arch       time
> XO-1.75         Armada 610 @ 0.8GHz     Debian armel    199.108s
> XO-1.5          VIA C7-M @ 1GHz         Debian i386     199.285s
> OpenRD          88F6281 @ 1.2GHz        Debian armel    181.277s
> Desktop PC      Athlon BE-2300 @ 1.9GHz Debian amd64     34.180s
>
> I must admit I'm surprised by the result. sup (my MUA of choice) feels
> much slower on XO-1.75 than on XO-1.5 - and that's even though dstat
> reports higher SD card write throughput (with a different card). Maybe I
> should do some side-by-side comparisons.

I think this is pretty relevant. XO-1.75 is roughly similar
CPU-performance wise to a XO-1.5, will be a bit faster with a fully
optimized toolchain and compiler, which we don't have for 11.3.0 (but
plan to have for 12.1.0).

The solid state disk storage is much faster on XO-1.75.

The GPU is currently slower, but potentially a bit faster.

You can think about it as a bit faster than XO-1.5, with much lower
power draw, and lower price. As any generalization, it's only valid if
you don't look into the details...

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions