[OLPC-AU] Replicating XO experience in a VM

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Tue May 17 10:11:42 EDT 2011

On 17 May 2011 13:11, Sridhar Dhanapalan <sridhar at laptop.org.au> wrote:
> Interesting idea. We are using the OS Builder to produce our builds,
> but I didn't think of extending it to generate a VM-capable build.

I'm a bit skeptical if this will work well, without driving you up the
wall first, but by all means try it..!

You will have to tweak numerous things, such as not building with a
versioned filesystem, installing a "normal" bootloader, using fedora's
kernel instead of OLPC's, not using OLPC's initramfs, replacing or
hacking olpc-session, ...

Personally I would go for your first approach, of putting recent
sugar-0.84 on top of regular Fedora 11. To diagnose the crash you are
seeing you could check the sugar and gdm logs, or start sugar with
sugar-emulator (which probably makes errors more obvious), or by
starting an X session with only xterm and then running /usr/bin/sugar
(again to be able to see errors easily).

Daniel