[OLPC-AU] XS Mini - Ionics Plug (Hardware)

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Wed Jun 22 13:28:26 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 7:43 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Sridhar Dhanapalan <sridhar at laptop.org.au>
>> wrote:

>>> Cool idea! It would serve better as an all-in-one device if it had an
>>> integrated wireless AP. Maybe we can look into running ejabberd on an
>>> OpenWRT-based device.
>>>
>>> A common difficulty with such devices right now is the CPU. In this
>>> case it is a "1.2GHz Marvell processor", which I guess means that it
>>> is ARM-based. All versions of XS are currently made for x86. I'd like
>>> to see that change, in light of the work done on the ARM-based
>>> XO-1.75. That'll take some work.
>>>

> Robert Howard (OLPC-SF) has been working on porting the XS stack over
> to ARM. There are some roadblocks from what I understand with ejabberd
> and bios-crypto, but he'd have a better answer. Robert has been using
> the Open RD Client as a testing base.
> http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-35-openrd-ultimate.aspx
>
> The Nimbus is a model in the line of plug computers from Marvell. More
> plugs at http://www.plugcomputer.org/
>
> cheers,
> Sameer
> --
> Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor, Information Systems
> Director, Campus Business Solutions
> San Francisco State University
> http://verma.sfsu.edu/
> http://opensource.sfsu.edu/
> http://cbs.sfsu.edu/
> http://is.sfsu.edu/

Somewhat peripheral to this discussion, but the plugcomputing platform
came up last night at a talk I attended in an Francisco. This was
about the FreedomBox project (https://freedomboxfoundation.org/) and
they are looking at the DreamPlug as a starting point reference
platform. Their target distro is Debian, with a goal to be able to do
something like apt-get freedombox and get all the pieces installed and
configured. Right now, the project is a bunch of ideas, with some seed
funding (US$120,000 I think).

Use of the plug/ARM machines should go up rapidly in the near future.

cheers,
Sameer