[OLPC-AU] XS Mini - Ionics Plug (Hardware)

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 10:43:33 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Sridhar Dhanapalan
<sridhar at laptop.org.au>wrote:

> On 20 June 2011 21:22, Mitchell Seaton <meaton.2v at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Sridhar/Jerry,
> > Thought this might be of interests as a potential hardware for XS Mini
> > application. Some of the specs are on this
> > address: http://www.ionicsplug.com/nimbus.html is being manufactured in
> the
> > Philippines (my eKindling colleague mentioned it too me), it would be
> really
> > suitable here for XS usage in some of our project (pilot) schools here in
> > the Philippines. Seeing that the current version is running on Debian OS
> it
> > may be suitable to likely run Fedora 11 or higher on this device, and
> thus
> > XS Mini. The main issue of course would be storage into 512MB NAND. So
> > similiar to the old XS-on-XO.
> > Please let me know your thoughts, and if it is of good interest as a
> target
> > device then maybe we could make one available for testing?
>
> Cool idea! It would serve better as an all-in-one device if it had an
> integrated wireless AP. Maybe we can look into running ejabberd on an
> OpenWRT-based device.
>
> A common difficulty with such devices right now is the CPU. In this
> case it is a "1.2GHz Marvell processor", which I guess means that it
> is ARM-based. All versions of XS are currently made for x86. I'd like
> to see that change, in light of the work done on the ARM-based
> XO-1.75. That'll take some work.

The Marvell processor is indeed ARM based but its already very well
supported in the Fedora ARM project. I suspect its based on the Marvell
Sheeva Plug or one of its derivative devices. They are quite common and the
details on the Using ARM [1] page for the Sheevaplug should work. You can
get the latest release based on F-13 here [2]. It should have all the
packages needed to run ejabberd on it.

Regards,
Peter

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Using