[OLPC-AU] [Testing] auckland testing 29 july

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Sat Jul 30 10:53:25 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 7:26 AM, Fabiana Kubke <mf.kubke at gmail.com> wrote:

> Abhishek, Tabitha, Tom, Oliver, Fabiana

Thanks for the testing!

It might be useful to know which version of XO software (or other operating
system) was used when activities did not start.  Some activities have binary
dependencies which are only satisfied on certain XO, Fedora, or other
platforms.

> Minecraft - Fails to start needs Java?

I do not think Minecraft belongs at activities.sugarlabs.org, unless it is
just a Sugarizing wrapper around an external install of the product.
Minecraft is commercial software by Markus Persson/Mojang AB, and while
there is an old freely playable version I do not know if he has declared it
to be public domain.

The author has declared intent to release the final source code to Minecraft
eventually ( http://www.minecraft.net/about.jsp - last paragraph ) but at
this time that is not the case.

In general activities.sugarlabs.org probably should show the license of each
entry, and needs a bit of a housecleaning to make sure all the entries are
well described.  I've been told in the past that the activities server only
is allowed to host items which are covered under one of Fedora's "good"
license list ( http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main#Good_Licenses ),
but if this is official policy then Scratch & a few other things probably
need to get removed as well.

---
SJG