[OLPC-AU] Activity Market [WAS: Sugar WebSDK + Activity Pack]

Aleksey Lim alsroot at activitycentral.org
Thu Jul 7 15:58:05 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 11:26:04PM +1000, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> I like the notion of making activities easier to find and install. The
> feedback that we've received is that ASLO is too messy, and the
> process isn't smooth enough.

Yeah, current ASLO is not good enough but we might keep in mind
different things where it is bad :). What are your points?

> The idea I had was to have an Activity Market, similar to the Android
> Market or the Apple App Store. This would be a place where activities
> could be easily managed directly on the XO. You should be able to
> easily browse through, search for, install and remove activities. I
> think that this model would work well,

You mean having non-web based UI on XO? If I got Sebastian right, his
idea is exactly about that (though Implementation might be different).

> usually self-contained.

Thats the one of problems in current ASLO and Sugar distribution methid
(.xo) at all. Not all activities are flat (have only sugar deps), and if
we are talking about "create your activitiy" we will get more and more
activities w/ non-sugar deps. Another problem is binary based activities
(the same point as w/ "create your activitiy").

Well, some people prefer
having self-contained activities in that case (having all deps and all,
for binary based activities, blobs bundled), in my mind that eventually
we will have situation when there is no any guaranties that particular
.xo will run in current environment - it is hard to ask any activity
developer (maybe a kid) to take care what deps he needs to bundle (some
sugar environments might have them preinstalled, another might not, etc.),
for binary based activities it is even worse (ABI/arches mess).

In my mind it is faulty to think that activities are self-contained,
of course if we talking to people "lets create your activity" and not
"lets create your activity with current sugar dependencies" (the last
"lets" sounds to me pretty non sugar way). But..

> How does your idea differ from this?

..there is another idea - 0install[1] based distribution method[2].
It is not yet described properly on the wiki, but the basic idea is:

to split the whole system of activities distribution/sharing to:
  1 hosting/building(for binary based activities)
    all files and metadata about activity will be handled on the
    server w/ only API (no any UI)
  2 activities catalog repsentation might be different - web (like aslo),
    local sugar UI (analog of F3 view but w/ access not only to local
    activities, eg, like Ubuntu App Center, and w/ having stuff like
    ranks/reviews), or even CLI access

the 1st part is started more than a year ago and it turned to start
being a regular package management system based on 0install, it is named
Sweets. It works in some initial stage (sugar, since there is no tech
difference between sugar iteself and sugar activities, runs more or less
from sweets; there is also a sweet based launcher for sugar shell).

imho, it might be useful to think about new/old/old-modified
activities catalog not in *AppStore way (when it behaves like ASLO, ie,
directly handles activity bundles and its metadata) but having just
a catalog of activities to let people launch activities and see/change
metadata like ranks/reviews, and delegate all not trivial stuff (like
handling deps and binaries) to the Sweets.

[1] http://0install.net/
[2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Platform_Team/Sugar_Doers_Kit

Aleksey