[OLPC-AU] Golden image restores for laptops in shared use scenarios

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Jan 18 01:36:45 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 11:41:23PM -0600, Jerry Vonau wrote:
> Like the idea, lets say I have two USB drives, one for the clients and
> one as the server, could a osXXX.usb file be used as the source of the
> pristine copy in place of mounting a virgin image?

I'm not sure (without checking) if os*.usb contains /home/olpc, but if
it does then this might work.  I don't think it was intended for that,
so if /home/olpc is missing that's no surprise.

Otherwise, making a pristine copy on either a USB HDD or a filesystem
image on a USB flash drive might alleviate the need for a master laptop
or server.

A server might also be provisioned as a virtual appliance for
distribution to schools under centralised IT models.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/