[OLPC-AU] Golden image restores for laptops in shared use scenarios

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Jan 18 01:28:30 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 10:12:28PM -0800, IanCunningham wrote:
> The concept looks good and is sure to be a time saver.

Thanks.

> I get the gist of what is happening, but my Linux knowledge is
> limiting.
>
> Is  an open wireless access point with essid NETWORK required
> for  iwconfig eth0 essid NETWORK to work?

Yes.

One might instead manually configure an ad-hoc network using iwconfig
and ifconfig commands.  For instance:

iwconfig eth0 mode ad-hoc channel 1 essid pq
ifconfig eth0 1.1.1.1

(where the last digit changes as you add more laptops to the network).

This might also be automated with further scripting on the USB drive,
automatic IP assignment, and server discovery.

> I tried following the instructions in robot mode, an received
>
> ok, IP address is

Means no IP address was assigned using DHCP.

May happen with a slow DHCP server or if not enough time elapses between
iwconfig and xo-server.

You can type "ifconfig eth0" at this point to see if DHCP has completed,
look for the IP address in the output, and then use that on the client.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/