[OLPC-AU] Mass imaging

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Jan 13 02:19:09 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 06:03:23PM +1100, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> Our problem is one of scale - 770 XOs to reimage at once.
>
> I think we're going to have to use lots of power boards and individual
> adapters (not XOPs). Just like the old days :)

Remember that the sender can be left running all day if necessary, with
the receivers run through the task when they are ready.

With a bit of logistics mathematics, you can plan anything.  770 laptops
with half an hour per laptop, spread over 30 charging positions, will
cost about 13 hours.

Oh, and with the state of charge not known (because batteries are in box
separate to laptop), a discharge step may be needed to get charging to
start.  Plugging in those laptops first time might not result in
charging start, so they can look healthy and yet shutdown early without
external power.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/