[OLPC-AU] magic update usbkey

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 9 20:37:11 EST 2011

Hi All:

Ever want to have an action occur when you plug your usbkey in on an XO?
With a bit of udev magic that is possible. First you need to have a
udev .rules file in place to trap the occurrence, I created
/etc/udev/rules.d/99-setup.rules that contained, on one line:

ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="sd*", SUBSYSTEM=="block",
RUN+="/usr/bin/netcfg.sh"

This will run the second part, /usr/bin/netcfg.sh file when any usbkey
is inserted. In my case I'm searching the usbkey for certain files to be
sourced. Just wondering if there would be any interest in extending this
for something like installing activities and/or rpms, like
olpc-configure can do but on demand.

Jerry