[OLPC-AU] Browse problems - alternatives?

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Sun Apr 17 05:06:30 EDT 2011

There appear to be several deficiencies, and even regressions, in
recent versions of Browse for the XO. Version 108.4, as included in
the latest OLPC OS, crashes on some Web sites[0] and can't display
pop-up/dialogue boxes[1][2].

I understand that Browse development has progressed past that, but
AFAICS the Sugar 0.84 in the OLPC OS cannot use any later version. We
need to work within this reality probably for the next year, which
means that I am looking for a Web browser that works better for the
existing OS. We could use the installed Fedora Firefox, but that
either requires switching to GNOME or loading from the terminal (not
user friendly). The Firefox activity I've seen for Sugar[3] is quite
old.

Are there any other alternatives?

[0] http://dev.laptop.org.au/issues/511
[1] http://dev.laptop.org.au/issues/472