[OLPC-AU] [Testing] [olpc-nz] Testing summary: Auckland - 2 April 2011

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 4 20:50:17 EDT 2011

On 4 Apr 2011, at 21:56, Brenda Wallace wrote:

> On 5 April 2011 01:45, Sridhar Dhanapalan <sridhar at laptop.org.au> wrote:
>> On 2 April 2011 12:09, Tabitha Roder <tabitha at tabitha.net.nz> wrote:
>>> Testing summary: Auckland - 2 April 2011
>>>
>>> Testing 862 10.1.3-au2 0.84.31 on XO-1.0s for Australia
>>
>> Thanks! :)
>>
>>> Image thumbnail - froze the XO, max out cpu, had to kill it
>>
>> It's not frozen, it's just very slow. I doubt it'd be useful at all on
>> an XO-1 in its current state. Performance improvements are in the
>> works.
>>
>> Image Thumbnail scours the entire filesystem, using a combination of
>> 'find' and 'file' to identify images. It looks beyond the journal in
>> places like the Browse and Firefox caches, to find usable images.
>
> Perhaps a progress bar will help - or some kind of status messages
> showing which dir it's up to.

Unfortunately you can't show a progress bar until you know how many results you're looking for (catch 22), so I think a spinner would be the only feedback possible, perhaps with a status message if there is more than one pass (find vs. file), and/or a count of files found so far. I've not tested this activity, but it definitely sounds like some clear user feedback of progress is essential to its success.

--Gary