[OLPC-AU] Creating a customised Sugar on a Stick

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Thu Sep 16 01:00:33 EDT 2010

On 16 September 2010 13:55, Ian Cunningham <ian.cunningham at nt.gov.au> wrote:
> On another matter.
>
> Is it possible to create a customized Sugar on A Stick?
> I would like to build a SOAS iso which has added activities and includes flash player.

There are instructions on creating a custom Sugar on a Stick at
sugarlabs.org. The 'proper' way is to use the Sugar Creation Kit:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit

I think the easiest way, however, is to:

  1. create a fresh SoaS (preferably create some room for persistent
storage as well)
  2. customise it the way you want (add content, activities, etc.)
  3. optionally remove all personalisation (to prompt for a name on startup)
  4. create an image of the stick (using dd, clonezilla, etc.)
  5. write the image to another stick or equal or greater size

This is basically what I did to create the sticks for the workshops in
Cairns and Alice Springs. The only difference is that I outsourced
Step 4 to a professional duplication service. This may be more
cost-effective if you are making many sticks.