[OLPC-AU] XO repairs by children at school

Peter Williams pawill at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 20:15:30 EDT 2010

Colleagues
Great to see children tinkering at home.  My own sons have done this from a
very early age. The sense of discovery is very powerful.

However my thoughts are that in a school environment, teachers have a
duty-of-care perspective and a Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) aspect to
consider.  Here in Queensland state primary schools, such activities,
believe it or not,  usually require a WHS clearance form or approvals.
 Because they can be connected to AC power at some point, the rule or
restriction I have experienced is that both children and teachers cannot
take apart repair or otherwise tinker with computer equipment.  Purely
battery-powered equipment does not seem to have the same requirements. This
restriction came about recently when we were experimenting with robotics
kits.  Even though I have formal technical certifications, I believe that I
could not have students partake in activities at school where the equipment
was to be re-used in the classroom.  For this reason I have usually had
students take apart old calculators.
Jonathon Naylor would have the most current information on this at present
here in QLD believe. I'd appreciate his thoughts on this matter.

--
Kind regards,

Peter W

Peter Williams