[OLPC-AU] joining script

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 1 05:10:22 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 16:21 +1000, James Cameron wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 12:53:16AM -0500, Jerry Vonau wrote:
> > >
> > > Can you describe the technical requirements?
> > >
> > > What makes a network hidden?
> >
> > Hidden SSID I'm guessing, while in gnome you can use NM's gui to "find
> > hidden network" to connect the hidden network. In gnome NM uses dbus
> > calls to replace wpa_supplicant.conf on the fly, storing the info in
> > ~/.gconf/system/network/connections/<>. You can then switch to sugar,
> > and the connection remains active. Once you reboot, sugar is lost again
> > and can't "see" the AP with the hidden SSID.
>
> Okay, I'm not familiar with that.  Sugar obtains the list of networks
> scanned from NetworkManager (NM).  If NM doesn't provide it, Sugar won't
> list it.  Sounds like a potential feature request for Sugar.

By default, in gnome NM doesn't list the hidden networks until you use
the tray icon to scan for them. Yes, that would be a welcome feature in
Sugar.

> > On a side note, couldn't do pre-NM style networking with just
> > wpa_supplicant and network? We would have to get the wpa_supplicant and
> > ifcfg files correct, but that seems better that resorting to the cli.
>
> I don't know, sorry.  devel at lists.laptop.org may have people who know.
>
> I suggest you try the wireless firmware against a hidden network, to see
> what it does.

Did that above, with the stated results. Well that was interesting, used
the info gleaned from:

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch13_:_Linux_Wireless_Networking#Further_WPA_Configuration_Steps_-_Fedora_.2F_RedHat

and I have a network connection. Now just need to document the steps on
how I did it.

Jerry