[OLPC-AU] Sugar on Mirrored on Dual Monitors

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Mon Oct 25 21:33:28 EDT 2010

On 25 October 2010 16:50, Peter Hewitt <prh at mulawa.net> wrote:
> Not sure where to pose this question but I'll start here. Have made some
> progress from web searching but am now stuck - I'm very new to linux and sugar.
>
> I'm running SoaS v3 on a Dell Latitude D400 and want to mirror the display
> on another monitor.
>
> When monitor 2 is an old CRT it mirrors but when I use a flatscreen I get
> an extended display instead. My reading says that this is the default
> behavior with Fedora 13. Of course I want it to work on the flatscreen!
>
> I found that
>
> xrandr --output VGA1 --same-as LVDS1
>
> in a terminal session does the trick but it's back to extended when I leave
> the terminal session.
>
> Hope someone can help.

I've found that SoaS works automatically if the additional display is
plugged in when you boot.

Alternatively, you can use the xrandr command but place an ampersand
(& sign) on the end to put the process into the background. Then you
can close the terminal. If you don't background the process, it will
be killed when you close the terminal. The same goes for most Linux
commands.

Sridhar

Sridhar Dhanapalan
Technical Manager
One Laptop per Child Australia
M: +61 425 239 701
E: sridhar at laptop.org.au
A: G.P.O. Box 731
     Sydney, NSW 2001
W: www.laptop.org.au

Be Part of the Equation....

Show your support for OLPC Australia by texting the word LAPTOP to 044
SUPPORT (0447 877 678)*
For every 100 messages of support received, Telstra will donate an
additional XO laptop to a remote child - up to 500 XOs**

*Standard SMS charges apply
**Full terms and conditions at Ideas for Good