[OLPC-AU] Adhoc wireless sharing help

Jonathan Nalder jnald2 at eq.edu.au
Sun Oct 24 23:49:48 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

Need to ask for help regarding classroom -wide use of the the adhoc networking on XO 1.5s.

I'm familiar with how to setup up an adhoc and have other machines connect to it, and have done this successfully a few times.

However, in my role of supporting XO schools here in Queensland, I visited Bloomfield River north of Cairns last week and ran a session where we had a whole class set up in groups, with each group having one person create an adhoc network, and the other members of that group connect to it and then share a chat.

Wether it was because we had 4 adhoc networks in close proximity or not I'm not sure, but many (say half of about 24 students) had alot of problems firstly seeing the network setup for their group (could often see some of the others), and then secondly, seeing in neighbourhood the chat which their group leader had created.

Just wanted to check with this discussion list if there is anything specific I should/ should not do when attempting this kind of setup.

Many thanks,

Jonathan Nalder

Principal Project Officer (Mobile & Transformational Learning: One Laptop Per Child Australia)
Learning Technologies | Information & Technologies Branch | Department of Education and Training | Queensland Government
| M 0410394768 | E jonathan.NALDER at deta.qld.gov.au | W www.education.qld.gov.au/smartclassrooms/

This message (including attachments) is intended for the addressee named above. It may also be confidential, privileged and/or subject to
copyright. If you wish to forward this message to others, you must first obtain the permission of the author.
If you are not the addressee named above, you must not disseminate, copy, communicate or otherwise use or take any action in reliance on
this message. You understand that any privilege or confidentiality attached to this message is not waived, lost or destroyed because you
have received this message in error. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender and delete from any computer.
Unless explicitly attributed, the opinions expressed in this message do not necessarily represent the official position or opinions of the State
of Queensland or the Department of Education and Training. Whilst all care has been taken, the Department of Education and Training
disclaims all liability for loss or damage to person or property arising from this message being infected by computer virus or other
contamination.