[OLPC-AU] Browse activity, XO 1.5 and an authenticating proxy server

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Mon Oct 18 07:56:18 EDT 2010

> Is there a way to show Browse the proxy server address?

It's been more than a year since the last time I used a proxy with the
XO - so I unfortunately no longer remember which way is the simplest.

What is needed is to establish the following environmental variables:
  http_proxy  https_proxy  ftp_proxy

Alternatives:

 1.  The preferred way (if it works) is to globally change the system.
     I don't normally use GNOME on the XO - but with luck, when you go
     System -> Preferences -> Network Proxy, and set both the proxy
     address and password (use 'Details'), they would get set for BOTH
     GNOME and Sugar.  Try it and see.

 2.  The brute force way is to manually add a file to /etc/profile.d/
     which explicitly issues the appropriate 'export' statements.

I myself haven't used a password-requiring proxy with Browse.  You can
set the same five 'about:config' lines with Browse that you can with
Firefox (don't forget to set "proxy.type" to 1) -- but if Browse will
not prompt you for the password (where Firefox would) - I can't help.

mikus