[OLPC-AU] /versions directory

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Aug 31 22:17:29 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 02:06:36PM +1000, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> On 30 August 2010 13:45, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 01:14:58PM +1000, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> >> I noticed that there's a /versions directory on the XOs. What's it
> >> for,
> >
> > It is to support olpc-update, and contains a pristine copy of the
> > installed build from which olpc-update may work from, and from which
> > the system may be booted after an olpc-update, using the game key
> > sequence, to use the previous build.
>
> Looking at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Cheat_codes I think you're
> referring to holding down the 'O' game button when turning on the XO.
> Is that correct?

Yes.  This boots from the alternate version, once an olpc-update has
been done.

> >> and can we use [ /versions ] for recovery purposes?
> >
> > Yes, you could restore the operating system thus undoing any changes
> > made to it. This would not undo changes made to /home/olpc however.
>
> Which could actually be a good thing, as it keeps the Journal intact.

I've assessed this possibility some more, and it doesn't gain you much
except repair of everything outside /home/olpc.

I think I'd like to see some damage scenarios before designing a
solution.  I would expect most damage to be within /home/olpc.

There's enough space on XO-1.5 4GB internal SD laptops to be able to
afford a duplicate copy of /home/olpc as well, which is something the
current builds do not do.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/