[OLPC-Asia] Fwd: NOW: OLPC Contributors Program Mtg (on #olpc-meeting, 4PM EDT, Mch 18)

lite li litekok at gmail.com
Fri May 18 22:09:22 EDT 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Holt <holt at laptop.org>
Date: Sat, May 19, 2012 at 2:57 AM
Subject: NOW: OLPC Contributors Program Mtg (on #olpc-meeting, 4PM EDT, Mch
18)
To: Support Gangsters <support-gang at laptop.org>, grassroots at lists.laptop.org,
olpc-open at lists.laptop.org, Devel's in the Details <devel at lists.laptop.org>,
IAEP <iaep at lists.sugarlabs.org>, olpc-social at googlegroups.com

            Please all join us now, voting for the latest OLPC/Sugar
community
projects over IRC Live Chat, to make the best project allocations &
mentoring relationships--starting right here:

  http://forum.laptop.org/chat

AGENDA:

* Fast Review of the 11 latest (greatest!) HW/Project Proposals.
  Plz join us advocating for & reviewing shortcomings of these proposals:

  1. Testing & Translation by Founder of Hanthana Linux - Sri Lanka
  2. Helping children learn the serbian cyrillic alphabet - Munich, Germany
  3. "100 Monkeys vs. 1 Engineer" - Toronto, Canada
  4. Project Rwanda - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
  5. Case Study Scratch Kids Programming - Mesa/Phoenix, Arizona
  6. XO Educational Software Project (XO/ESP) - Haiti & Mansfield, Ohio
  7. Math & Science Activities - Florence, Mississippi
  8. BioDiv-Activity - Tirschenreuth, Germany
  9. St Andre's school - Hinche, Haiti & Carmel, California
  10. Pronunciation Evaluation Game for Reading - US, India, Singapore
  11. Green Roots Festival 2012 - Boston, Massachusetts

* Which projects might you enjoy Mentoring below?!
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects
  http://rt.laptop.org/Search/Results.html?Query=Queue=%27contributors%27

* New projects & libraries -- teaching them Community Outreach:
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Laptop_Lending_Libraries

1. Testing & Translation by Founder of Hanthana Linux - Sri Lanka
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=103930
   http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com
   http://school.hanthana.org/2012/03/12/it-has-begun/
   SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

   Requests 2 XOs over undetermined months

   Project Objectives:
   Hardware testing
   Testing on going l10n

2. Helping children learn the serbian cyrillic alphabet - Munich, Germany;
Kosovo
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=105576
   http://lln.sourceforge.net
   SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

   Requests 2 XOs over 18-24 months

   Project Objectives:
   This project will be a attempt to write a program for XO in order to
   help serbian children in northern part of Kosovo to learn and preserve
   serbian cyrillic alphabet.It should be a part of my future project for
   donate XO-1 to various schools in northern Kosovo. A whole project should
   be a non-profit in collaboration with Serbian Orthodox Church in Munich
   and Serbian Othodox Church in Kosovo.

3. "100 Monkeys vs. 1 Engineer" - Toronto, Canada
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=106020
   SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

   Requests 2 XOs over 12 months

   Project Objectives:
   While I appreciate that highly defined, measurable outcomes are most
   desirable, I am seeking an XO laptop to put into the hands of my
   first-year engineering student son who is about to embark on a four
   month environmental intern position with an international development
   agency in Saskatchewan. He has been previously involved in an
   engineering project at university designing low-tech solutions for
   wastewater in slums in Africa and designing a geo-thermal robot computer
   program for ground scanning for minerals. His summer internship will
   expose him to the design and deployment of urban projects including;
   effluent irrigated woodlots, decommissioned landfill forest caps and
   active forest filters, salinity control forestation around municipal
   lagoons, and farm projects including; stream margin protection,
   shelterbelts and salinity control.

   We intend to explore the potential to communicate distributed learning
   about the low-tech technology for community solutions for adults to
   improve the front-line communities where children with the XO laptops
   reside.

4. Project Rwanda - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=106786

   SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

   Requests 2 XOs over 2 months

   Project Objectives:
   As a group, we would be using the laptops as a means to get children
   excited about education. The specific "activities" on the XO laptop would
   be the focus of our class. Our goals are to promote creativity,
   collaboration and sustainability. Our choice of programs, such as the Tam
   Tam Jam, Record, Scratch and eToys, will be the focus for creativity and
we
   will be teaching the children how create music, programs, website, design
   etc. While creating we also want to highlight the tools that will help
the
   children collaborate, the focus of our end presentation will be
   collaborative through group presentations. Lastly we wish to use the
   laptops and to set up Pen-pals so that once we leave Rwanda we can still
   mentor the children as a means of documentation of how the children have
   taken what we have taught them as well as sustaining a deep relationship
   with the children.

5. Case Study Scratch Kids Programming - Mesa/Phoenix, Arizona
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=106970
   SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

   Requests 25 XOs over 7 months

   Project Objectives:
   I am conducting a research to study the effects of computer programming
   in the classrooms. The IRB is now approved through ASU. The objective is
   to actively engage learners to construct their own ideas. The method is
   for teachers to use Scratch, PicoCricket and WeDo Lego Educational
   Technology in the curriculum as a teaching tool.

6. XO Educational Software Project (XO/ESP) - Haiti & Mansfield, Ohio
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=107089
   SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

   Requests 5 XOs over 24 months

   Project Objectives:
   The XO laptops will be used as (a) test units for proof of concept tests
   with low-cost robust server designs using wireless routers and access
   points, and (b) test units for math and science modules developed
   jointly by North Central State College (NCSC) Computer Information
   Systems students and Ohio State University (OSU) graduate education
   students.

7. Math & Science Activities - Florence, Mississippi
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=107717
   SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

   Requests 4 XOs over 3 months

   Project Objectives:
   Code new science and math activites for teachers and students in the
   classroom or outside school.

8. BioDiv-Activity - Tirschenreuth, Germany
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=107905
   SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

   Requests 5 XOs over 36 months

   Project Objectives:
   The objective is creating a series of activities on science in the next
   few years (biology, physics, electronics, chemistry) and taking care of
   debugging and correcting the created activities.

   This year we realised an experimental version of the activity called
   "BioDiv" which can be found here:
   http://activities.sugarlabs.org/de/sugar/addon/4557
   The subject of this activity is biodiversity (in cooperation with the
   convention of biological diversity of the UN). The main component is an
   animal quiz.

   Our work is documented at http://www.gym-tir.de/sugarbio/ .

   Next year we plan to create a activity on (quantum) physics.

9. St Andre's school - Hinche, Haiti & Carmel, California
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=108043
   SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

   Requests 2 XOs over 12 months

   Project Objectives:
   Numerous studies have proven that education is the key to addressing
   poverty. While we can’t fully fund the needs of every student and every
   teacher, we believe computer technology is making a difference. On the
   technology side, we have been sending our Windows-based laptops with
   mixed results and the same can be said of our efforts in solar. Theft
   provides additional challenges. We are looking for a partnership, where
   we can leverage experience in K-12 education using laptops in the
   central plateau of Haiti. Example, we are looking to replace books with
   technology. We want all graduates to be fluent in first, French, then
   English. Our goal is to create graduates, who are prepared to enter
   college. For those whose parents pull them from school perhaps after
   only completing elementary school, we want these students to be able to
   read and write, and be able to perform common math in daily life, so
   they can attain better jobs and achieve a higher quality of life.

10. Pronunciation Evaluation Game for Reading - Fort Lupton, Colorado;
India; Singapore
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=108156

http://pronunciationeval.blogspot.com/2012/05/one-laptop-per-child-hardware-request.html
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests XO-1, XO-1.5 & XO-1.75 over 6 months

    Project Objectives:
    We are building a free open source choose-your-own-adventure style
    game to teach beginning and intermediate English reading and
    pronunciation to learners of all ages and backgrounds using an
    automatic pronunciation evaluation system based on the CMU Sphinx3
    speech recognition system, which detects mispronunciations at the
    phoneme level and provides feedback scores and learner adaptation with
    phoneme, biphone, word, and phrase scores based on standardized
    phoneme acoustic scores and durations and edit distance scoring using
    alternate pronunciation grammars. We would like to build clients and
    stand-alone systems for OLPC hardware.

11. Green Roots Festival 2012 - Boston, Massachusetts
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=108215
    http://www.treehouse.su/garlabs/
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 10 XOs over 6 (summer) months

    Project Objectives:
    Experiment by doing ... outdoor play scenarios of children with XOs
    proof by doing that the XO is an outdoor computer :)

    Bring 10 xo ready for children usage (sometimes one for
    (grand-)parents too ;) and let them play set up a table and/or
    "decke" with flyers and the XOs turn on marketing.