[OLPC-Asia] XS Server Hardware

tkkang at nurturingasia.com tkkang at nurturingasia.com
Tue Apr 17 10:03:38 EDT 2012

Any recommendations as to what kind of hardware available in China that could be used as a low-power and/or fanless server to support the XO?

Below is a summary of some recent discussion on the server mailist.

----
I might sum up here from recent additions (replies) on this mailing list regarding current low-power server options (x86/32bit) for XS:

1) FitPC2i - Dual Ethernet, fanless, poss heat-issue (heat sink),  PhoenixBIOS (no Wake-on-LAN), 12W draw (poss ~5W idle)
http://www.fit-pc.com/web/fit-pc/fit-pc2i-specifications/

2) SolidLogic - (VIA C7, 25W draw) current sys in use not available for purchase, EU options in links below
http://www.logicsupply.eu/systems/intel-atom/
http://www.logicsupply.eu/systems/fanless/
deployment sites: Jamaica

3) MSi WindBox - '10 Atom D510, 4GB DDR2 - ~35W, drawback single Ethernet NIC (USB WiFi adapter)
http://fr.msi.com/models/Wind%20Box%20DC500
deployment sites: Nepal, Haiti, Philippines

4) EPC-AT270 - Dual Ethernet (Wake on LAN), fanless, drawback '08 model Atom N270 (2GB DDR2) -
http://www.avalue.com.tw/products/EPC-AT270.cfm
deployment sites: PNG, Oceania?

These solutions generally haven't changed in the last two years, in Q2, 2012 now these are the current stable options for low-power x86?

If that's the reality, I assume we can make a decision around these options, taking site specific considerations into account, and plan for possible involvement (replacement) down the line (1-2+ years) with any future server development for ARM/plug/etc and what suitable working model is devised around it.

Regards,
Mitch