[OLPC Networking] No-cost connectivity

Tim Flavin tim.flavin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 12:02:52 EST 2009

This list has been kind of quiet lately.  I was wondering if there was
any information available about the no-cost connectivity project.  My
understanding is that it depends upon satellite and cell vendors
donating unused bandwidth.

This approach may need low cost Wi-Fi back haul in many cases. I have
a suggestion for some systems that might help.  A company called
Ubiquiti Networks  (ubnt.com) sells a number of  $40 to $100 (list)
Wi-Fi radios.  I used several of these to provide broadband Internet
service to a couple of places in northern Maine that can't otherwise
get broadband service.

I used the radios for point to point links over several miles.  They
are similar to the Meraki radios, but come without  mesh software
built in. (Though it might not be too hard to add since they are Linux
based and have a Linux development tool set.)  The radios work in the
2.5 and 5 Ghz bands and have output levels of 100 to 1000 mw so they
provide a lot of flexibility in network layout.

 Tim Flavin