[OLPC Networking] Setting up the mesh device
sjoerd at luon.net
Tue Jun 24 14:42:31 EDT 2008
I'm currently working on adding support for the olpc mesh device to NM 0.7.
From what i understand from David Woodhouse we should be able to really use
it as two seperated devices these days (with the obvious constraint that it
shares the radio ofcourse). Some testing shows that i can indeed use the mesh
while the eth0 is completely unconfigured.
Now when configuring the msh0 device NM 0.6 does the following:
0. Set eth0 in ad-hoc mode
1. Set eth0's essid to olpc-mesh
2. Wait for an association event on eth0
3. Continue with ip configuration.
Which makes me wonder about the following things:
* Why is the eth0 device set in ad-hoc mode?
* In what way is the olpc-mesh essid special for eth0?
* What's the actual meaning of the association event on eth0 for the msh0
and why should we wait on it. And if it's important, why is this event on
eth0 instead of msh0 ?
A transistor protected by a fast-acting fuse will protect the fuse by
More information about the Networking