[OLPC Networking] Other hardware compatible with the olpc mesh protocol

Oliver Mattos omattos at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 13:36:21 EST 2008

 for the average network user:
There are a lot of protocols and servers that don't use encryption by
default.  For example most online forums don't use https for sending logon
details, and if the "norm" was to use unencrypted wireless logon credentials
for a lot of online services could very easily be stolen.   Also consider
the privicy aspect - you wouldn't want soeone nosy with a sniffer to be able
to see all the websites you visit in realtime.

For the theoretical computer scientist:
end to end encryption between the transport and application layers is much
better, just a pity so many services don't use it.  After all using wireless
encryption still leaves the packets wide open when they're on the internet
backbones, just not so many sniffers can see them there.

As an aside, could governmental and service provider pressue be the reason
end to end packet level encryption of everything isn't now standard? (like
in the IPv6 spec)

my main question still stands - is there any mesh-capable hardware out there
for purchase?